As a rule, always copy the Citation guidance directly from the Authority Document.
Rules of thumb
- Do not map introductory material.
- Do not map notes or explanatory text.
- Do not map whole parenthetical sentences or paragraphs.
- Copy the Citation guidance directly from the Authority Document.
- Do no include lettering or numberings systems in Citation Guidance.
- Remove bullets from bulleted text and replace them with simple dashes.
- Enter bulleted text with preceding lines or paragraphs.
- Separate unnumbered paragraphs.
Rules of thumb in action
In the image above the entire page is introductory material and therefore not mappable.
Notes, Explanatory Text, and Parenthetical Paragraphs
In the image above the highlighted text areas are explanatory text and therefore not mappable.
Exclude Lettering Systems
In the image above the lettering system (a) is left out of the Citation Guidance.
Replace bulleted text with simple dashes
In the image above the highlighted bullet text is replaced with simple dashes when entered into the UCF Mapper.
Enter bulleted text with preceding lines or paragraphs.
In the image above the bulleted text is entered with the preceding paragraph.
Separate unnumbered paragraphs.
In the image above the unnumbered paragraphs are entered separately. The first paragraph is entered into the Citation Guidance field.